Monday, September 12, 2011

Hello and welcome to Madison Valley...

Author Milan Kundera once said, "Business has only two functions - marketing and innovation." Here I will discuss both. Sometimes it will be one or the other, but more often it will be where the two meet: the use of innovation in marketing and the marketing of innovations. These functions are my passion.

From a very young age, marketing fascinated me. When many kids were playing make believe and house, my stepsister and I were writing our own commericals for Bonnie Bell Lipsmackers. So it was no surprise that I worked at an advertising agency following my graduated from college. It was in the agency world that I received my second education. I learned psychology, strategy, branding, media channels and, of course, what goes in to a great piece of creative. That education only helped to grow my curiosity and love of marketing.

It is also through this education that I developed an interest companies and entrepreneurs of my native Northern California. In recent years a myriad of new media emerged from this area and I have been fascinated by the ways they have changed the way that we live. These platforms are built with specific uses in mind, but ultimately it is the consumer that decides how these new mediums actually work. That is the part that I am interested in...how does it all play out in our culture and society.

Madison Valley is the place in my brain where these two facets of business meet: the intersection of Madison Avenue and Silicon Valley. 

Enjoy!
Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment